Geology is the study of the history of our planet Earth and the processes that have acted upon it. Geologists are interested in the changes that the earth has undergone and how its physical, chemical, and biological systems have interacted during it’s 4.5 billion year history. Applied geologists utilise this historical records and knowledge to predict, find and recover materials that can be used profitably by humans, including fuels, ore minerals, and building materials.
The entire World economy is driven by energy (petroleum and uranium ores) and various metals derived from assorted mineral deposits. South Africa is endowed with numerous ore and fossil deposits, which will continue to need the attention of local geologists.
Career oppertunities and employers
- Exploration and/or mining geologist.
- Petroleum Geologist
- Consulting Geologist
- Academics pursuing research and lecturship in universities
- Business Enterpreneur
Geologist tend to be people who
- Love to work outdoors and also in the laboratory.
- Meticulously observe the natural phenomena in rocks.
- Are innovative and independant thinkers.
- Think laterally in the application of basic principles of science.
- Undertake great projects through team work and effort.
- Understanding geological processes.
- Working under pressure and in adverse field conditions.
- Report writing
- Research competence.
- Presentation of project reports.
- B.Sc. (Hons)