Tel: +27 (0)21 959 2637
Fax: +27 (0)21 959 1317/2438
- Matriculated from Springs Boys’ High School: 1990
- BSc (majoring in Geology and Chemistry) – Univ. of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg: 1992 – 1994
- BSc Honours (majoring in Geology) – Univ. of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg: 1995
- MSc – Univ. of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg: 1996 – 1997
- Scientific Officer, Council for Geoscience, Pretoria: 1998 – 1999
- Researcher - University of Cape Town, Cape Town: 1999 – 2003
- Postgraduate researcher and part-time lecturer – University of Johannesburg, Johannesburg: 2004 – 2007
- Exploration geologist – Caracle Creek International Consulting (CCIC) and MSA Geoservices: 2007 – 2008
- Senior lecturer – University of the Western Cape, Belville: 2009
Current research interests are in tectonics, particularly reconstructing ancient tectonic settings using geochemical, isotopic and geochronological techniques.
Currently this area of interest is focused on the contact between the Archean Kaapvaal Craton and the Namaqua Province of the Namaqua-Natal mobile belt of southern Africa, but in future will look to other tectonic boundaries in southern Africa.
Another research interest is in examining ore deposits with regards to their origin, age, nature and environment of formation.
This is particularly focused on precious and base metal deposits. This includes mineralisation associated with the Bushveld Complex and the various base metals deposits within the Namaqua Province of southern Africa.
Platreef mineralogy, mineralisation and geochemistry.
Geochemistry (including isotope geochemistry).
Petrology (Igneous and Metamorphic).
Tectonic processes and tectonic evolution.
Structural and tectonic evolution of the eastern margin of the Namaqua Province, Northern Cape Province.
- Currently completing work on assessing the tectonic contact between the Archean Kaapvaal Craton and the Namaqua Province. This has involved examining the geochemical, isotopic and geochronological characteristics of three supracrustal successions in the area, namely the Areachap, Wilgenhoutsdrif and Koras Groups.
- Cu-Zn mineralisation associated with the Areachap Group has been examined and described.
- Future research will focus on the Keimoes Suite of granitoids situated along the contact between the western margin of the Kaapvaal Craton and the eastern end of the Namaqua Province. Structural mapping, geochemistry and petrography are to be undertaken on the gneisses and supracrustal rocks of the Kakamas Terrane along with investigation of various base metal and pegmatite deposits in the area.
- Characterisation of lithologies and associated base metal sulphide and platinum group element (PGE) mineralisation of the Platreef of the northern Limb of the Bushveld Complex is being undertaken.
List of publications
Bailie, R., Rajesh, H.M., Gutzmer, J. (2012). Bimodal volcanism at the western margin of the Kaapvaal Craton in the aftermath of collisional events during the Namaqua-Natal Orogeny: The Koras Group, South Africa. Precambrian Research 200-203, 163-183.
Bailie, R., Gutzmer, J. and Rajesh, H.M. (2011b). Petrography, geochemistry and geochronology of the metavolcanic rocks of the Mesoproterozoic Leerkrans Formation, Wilgenhoutsdrif Group, South Africa – back-arc basin to the Areachap volcanic arc. South African Journal of Geology 114, 167-194.
Bailie, R., Gutzmer, J. (2011). Age and primary architecture of the Copperton Zn-Cu VMS deposit, Northern Cape Province, South Africa. Ore Geology Reviews 39, 164-179.
Bailie, R., Gutzmer, J., Rajesh, H.M., Armstrong, R. (2011a). Age of ferroan A-type post-tectonic granitoids of the southern part of the Keimoes Suite, Northern Cape Province, South Africa. Journal of African Earth Sciences 60, 153-174.
Bailie, R., Gutzmer, J., Rajesh, H. (2010). Lithogeochemistry as a tracer of the tectonic setting, lateral integrity and mineralisation of a highly metamorphosed Mesoproterozoic volcanic arc sequence on the eastern margin of the Namaqua Province, South Africa. Lithos 119, 345-362.
Bailie, R., Gutzmer, J., Strauss, H., Stueken, E., McClung, C. (2010). Sulfur isotope characteristics of metamorphosed Zn-Cu volcanogenic massive sulfides in the Areachap Group, Northern Cape Province, South Africa. Mineralium Deposita 45, 481-496.
Bailie, R.H., Armstrong, R.A. and Reid D.L. (2008), Response to the papers by Bailie et al. concerning the age and deposition of the Bushmanland Group (South African Journal of Geology, 110, 59-86) and single zircon ages of the Aggeneys Granite Suite (South African Journal of Geology, 110, 87-110). South African Journal of Geology 111, 112-113.
Bailie, R.H., Armstrong, R.A. and Reid, D.L. (2007a), The Bushmanland Group supracrustal succession, Aggeneys, Bushmanland, South Africa: Provenance, age of deposition and metamorphism. South African Journal of Geology 110, 59-86.
Bailie, R.H., Armstrong, R.A. and Reid, D.L. (2007b), Composition and single zircon U-Pb emplacement and metamorphic ages of the Aggeneys Granite Suite, Bushmanland, South Africa. South African Journal of Geology 110, 87-110.
Lacassie, J.P., McClung, C.R., Bailie, R.H., Gutzmer, J. and Ruiz-del-Solar, J. (2006), Geochemical patterns of schists from the Bushmanland Group: An artificial neural networks approach, Journal of Geochemical Exploration 91(1-3), 81-98.
Bailie, R.H. and Robb, L.J. (2004), Polymetallic mineralization in the granites of the Bushveld Complex – examples from the central southeastern lobe, South African Journal of Geology 107(4), 633-652.
Bailie, R.H. and Robb, L.J. (1998), Controls on polymetallic mineralisation in the acid phase of the Bushveld Complex - a case study from the area north of Bronkhorstspruit, South Africa. Economic Geology Research Unit (E.G.R.U.) Information Circular no. 329, University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg, 27pp.
Area(s) of speciality
- Geochemistry (including isotope geochemistry)
- Economic Geology
- Igneous Petrology
- Metamorphic Petrology