APG322 Geology 322 (30 credits)
[Pre-requisites: APG112 and (GEL211 and GEL221 and GEL212 and GEL222) OR (APG211 and APG212 and APG221 and APG222 AND APG311 and APG312]
- Advanced geological mapping techniques
- Structural analysis of geological data
- Reporting geological data and report writing
- Concept of Plate Tectonics
- Stereographic projection methods and techniques in structural analysis
- Mechanics of Plate Motions
- Ductile and Brittle Deformation in the Crust and Mantle
Main Outcomes: Student should:
- Become aware instinctively observe and vividly describe the occurrence and spatial arrangement of various types of rocks in the field
- Record information collected in the field in geological maps at various scales.
- Undertake an advanced structural analysis of data collected in the field.
- Write geological reports on field mapping.
- Understand the principles of geotectonics, and geotectonic evolution of the Earth.
- Develop skills for the acquisition and analysis of structural geology data at regional and global level.
- Have a conceptual understanding of global tectonic settings and associated Earth resources