APG311 Geology 311 (30 credits)
[Pre-requisites: GEL211 and GEL212 and GEL221 and GEL222 OR APG211 and APG212 and APG221 and APG222 ]
- Database management, vector maps and raster maps,
- Geological data and GIS,
- Application of GIS to geological industry,
- Basic elements in 2D and 3D geological models in geology,
- Introduction to computer modeling packages in applied geological industry,
- Construction of geological/geochemical/ maps and sections,
- Integration of geological maps and sections into 2D and 3D models related to element migration and hydrocarbon occurrence and flow dynamics.
Main Outcomes: Student should:
- Know the principles and applications of spatial and related techniques in geology,
- Develop skills for the construction of GIS raster and vector maps using geological data,
- Have a conceptual understanding of data management, data querying and spatial analysis,
- Understand principles of modeling geological processes and geological setting,
- Develop skills to integrate geological data into computer-based models; process and analyze and evaluate resulting images,
- Have a conceptual understanding of the application of geological models in the search for various Earth resources.